Have you ever needed a transcript of your federal income tax return for a mortgage application or other reason? If so, here is how you can get a copy of free. Here is the link to the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
Here’s what new users need to get started:
- A readily available email address;
- Your Social Security number;
- Your filing status and address from your last-filed tax return;
- Your personal account number from a:
- credit card (not American Express, debit card or a corporate card), or
- home mortgage loan, or
- home equity (second mortgage) loan, or
- home equity line of credit (HELOC), or
- car loan
**Note, the IRS does not keep this information; it is used to verify your information using financial records. Because of this, your credit report may list a ‘soft inquiry’ which does not affect your credit score.
- A readily available mobile phone. Only U.S-based mobile phones may be used. Your name must be associated with the mobile phone account. Landlines, Skype, Google Voice or similar virtual phones as well as phones associated with pay-as-you-go plans cannot be used;
- If you have a “credit freeze” on your credit records through Equifax, it must be lifted before you can successfully complete this process.
Once you have your information together, click on the link above and enter the information when prompted. You can receive a 6 digit activation code either via text message or by mail. Then you will create a username and password, create a site phrase and select a site image.